To all posters (and tapestries, and other varieties of decorative wall-hangings):
As you may or may not be aware, our forum has been undergoing a rash of spam posters. I wouldn't go so far to call it a "plague," but it's certainly annoying for everyone involved. Those of us who moderate the forums have real tasks to get to, namely localizing the games you love to praise and/or complain about so much, and wasting our time IP-banning signature spammers really is something we'd rather not have to do. Unfortunately, the more "open" we leave our registration options, the easier it is for spammers to sign up.
Our previous attempt was to force users to answer a simple question; in this case, we just asked for the fourth letter in Jack Frost's name. (It's "k", for anyone still wondering. And, yes, we did get some emails about that.) That held back the tide for a bit, but it seems that this vital info has been made known to the automatic spam account generators, which accounts for the sudden uptick in our spam population. We don't have the tools required to automatically sift spammers from our pages, nor do we have the time to do it manually 24/7.
So, now new measures need to be taken. Here's our next method: the questions will change.
The "answer K" question is really just a profile field that is required to be filled in with a correct answer in order to allow you to do anything on the forum. We're going to make these easy questions that will change from time to time. If we're right about this, it should cause a drop-off in the number of spam accounts we're seeing... until the new required form answer gets around. In that case, we'll change the question and answer again.
- What does this mean for me if I want to create an account?
If you're registering in for the first time, nothing. Just answer the required field, as usual.
- What if I already have an account?
You will be forced to answer the new question before you can continue using the forum.
- How do I do that?
I'm glad you asked.
1) Click on "User CP" in the upper left.
2) Select "Edit Your Details" from the options on the left.
3) The question will be in the first box, directly under the "edit Email and Password" button.
4) Answer the question, and click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
5) Revel in your superiority over those who cannot answer it.
- Hey, I have an account and suddenly it says that I can't post or anything! What gives!?
You somehow skipped down to this question without reading the rest of this post. Go back to the top and give it another shot.