You may recall Keitaro Miura’s appreciation for the future-food “Hemborger” – now, you can make this delicious dinner at home with our Hemborger Steak recipe!
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3 tbsp (45mL) Vegetable Oil, divided
- ¾ cup (23g) Onion, minced
- 2 cloves (6g) Garlic, minced
- ½ lb (230g) Ground Beef
- ¼ lb (115g) Ground Pork
- ⅓ cup (33g) Panko Breadcrumbs
- ¾ tsp (4.5g) Salt
- ½ tsp (1g) Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (0.5g) Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp (0.5g) Ground White Pepper
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Soy Sauce
- 1½ tbsp (23mL) Ketchup
- 1 large Egg
- ¼ cup (60mL) Red Wine
- 3 tbsp (45mL) Beef Stock or Water
- 3 tbsp (45mL) Ketchup
- 2 tbsp (45mL) Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp (10mL) Honey
- ½ cup (120mL) Red Wine
- 1 Medium Boiled Egg, halved
- Leaf Lettuce
- Cucumber Slices
- Tomato Wedges
Hemborger Steak & Gravy Instructions:
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon (15mL) of vegetable oil. Once hot, add in the onions and sauté until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Next add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds. Make sure to constantly stir to avoid burning the garlic. Once done, place the sautéed onions and garlic in a heat-proof bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooked onions, beef, pork, panko breadcrumbs, salt, nutmeg, both peppers, milk, soy sauce, ketchup, and egg and mix well until all is evenly incorporated but be careful not to overmix. You can use your hands for this.
- Scoop out a large handful of the meat mixture. It should be about ⅕ of the mixture. Carefully form the meat into a patty about 1 inch (2 cm) thick. Toss the patty between your hands to press the air out. This will help the patty hold its shape while it cooks and prevent it from crumbling.
- Place the patty on a plate and repeat the process until all the meat mixture has been used. Cover the plate loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- After the patties have rested, in a medium frying pan on medium heat, add in 2 tablespoons (30mL) of vegetable oil. Before adding a patty to the frying pan, make a small indent in the center of the patty with the back of a spoon or your thumb. Once the oil is hot, place the patty in the frying pan and sear the outside for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cook 2 to 3 patties at a time to prevent overcrowding the pan!
- After searing all the patties, add them all back into the pan. Add in ¼ cup (60mL) red wine and cover the pan to steam the patties for an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until the hemborger steak reaches the desired doneness.
- Place the hemborger steaks on a plate and cover lightly with foil while the gravy is prepared. Make sure to set the frying pan with all the leftover juices aside too. It will be used to make the gravy!
- In a small bowl, add in the beef stock or water, ketchup, and honey and mix well.
- Place the pan used to fry the hemborger steaks over medium-high heat, deglaze the pan with a small amount of the ½ cup (120mL) red wine for 15 to 30 seconds. Stir in the beef stock mixture then slowly mix in the remaining red wine. When the mixture begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Try dipping a spoon in the gravy and if it coats the back of the spoon, it is ready!
Medium Boiled Egg Instructions:
- Bring a small pot of water to a roiling boil over high heat.
- With a spoon, carefully lower the egg to water. Boil for 7 minutes.
- While the egg is cooking, in a small bowl, add ice and cold water.
- When the egg is done, remove it from the pot and immediately place it in the ice water bath. Chill for 5 minutes before removing and peeling. Set aside until ready to plate the hemborger steak!
- Slice the egg in half and place on a serving plate along with the lettuce, cucumber slices, and tomato wedges.
- Place a hemborger patty on the plate and top with a good amount of gravy.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is now available for Nintendo Switch!